IFTTT – What are you on about?
IFTTT – (If This Then That) has been around for several years now, though many are still unaware, even if using it themselves.
Firstly, the pronunciation. IFTTT is said like ‘LIFT’ without the ‘L’, so it is “ift”.
Most people are aware of the Amazon Alexa, for example. A voice activated smart system that provides answers to questions; sets timers and alarms; builds shopping lists, and turns-on/off lights. All are examples of IFTTT.
IFTTT is a system of connecting services that are triggered. For example:
You: “Add milk to my shopping list“
Alexa: “Milk has been added to your shopping list“
Here you have the Alexa service receiving an IFTTT trigger “Add milk to my shopping list“. That’s the IFT (If This) part.
The shopping list is another service that has been previously connected. The task is then passed to the shopping list service and the milk is added to the list. That’s the TT (Then That) part.
You: “Play Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade” – This is the trigger for the first service
Alexa software triggers the second service (a music player)
Noddy Holder appears like magic to fill your house with the 1973 Christmas No1.
And, there’s more
Maybe that doesn’t float your boat, but it is just the beginning. For example, one of my favourite services is to send my self an email from a note.
I’m having harebrained ideas every day, like 22PlusY. But I often forget them because another harebrained idea has replaced the previous. Now, though, I use IFTTT. I simply press a button on my iPhone and a note page opens. I scribble down the idea and press ‘Send’ to get an email in my inbox containing my notes.
- The ‘If This’ part is the note App service and the ‘Send’ button.
- The ‘Then This’ part opens my email, creates a new email, addressed and formatted correctly, and sends it.
No saving, no remembering to look at my notes, no subject line to enter… Just a nice list of harebrained ideas in my inbox.
- Being a bit of a nerd, I also have IFTTT send me a notification whenever the International Space Station (ISS) is going to pass over my house.
- You can turn on your house lights when you pull-up outside your house
- Open the garage door when you get home
- Sync your social media (ie post in Instagram and have FB updated)
- Monitor your house/office with motion detectors or cameras
- Receive a message when your dog is at the door, waiting to go out.
- Press a button on your phone to receive a call so you can get out of a meeting or awkward situation.
- Monitor the news and get messages when a subject you are interested in appears
- Even use IFTTT to monitor the freshness of your eggs in the larder.
IFTTT – a tree symbol to demonstrate the interconnectivity
- Meet Echo: Echo (3rd generation) has new premium speakers powered by Dolby to play 360° audio with crisp vocals and dynamic bass response.
- Enjoy premium sound: personalise your listening experience by adjusting the equaliser settings. Pair with a second Echo (3rd generation) or Echo Plus (2nd generation) for stereo sound.
- Voice control your music: ask Alexa for a song, artist or genre from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer, TuneIn and more. With multi-room music, play music on compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- Voice control your smart home: turn on lights, adjust thermostats and more, with compatible connected devices.
- Keep your family in sync: use your Alexa devices as an intercom and talk to any room in the house with Drop-In and Announcements.
- Alexa has skills: with tens of thousands of skills and counting, Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new ones, such as tracking fitness, playing games and more.
- Designed to protect your privacy: built with multiple layers of privacy protection and control, including a Microphone Off button that electronically disconnects the microphones.
Ring Video Doorbell
Recommended for homes with or without existing doorbell wiring. Simply remove your existing doorbell and replace it with the Ring Doorbell in minutes.
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC . Works with selected Alexa devices to launch real-time video with your voice.
- You’ll get a notification when movement is detected or when visitors press the Doorbell.
- Powered by the rechargeable battery pack or connects to doorbell wires for a constant charge. Comes with an easy to recharge battery.
- Monitors your home in 1080p HD video with infrared night vision.
- Lets you check-in on your property at anytime with Live View, real-time video.
- Includes Theft Protection: if your doorbell gets stolen, we will replace it for free.
- Standard features such as instant notification, live view and two-way talk are available out of the box and for free on all Ring devices.
IFTTT Smart Sockets
- SET UP EASILY – All you have to do is scan the QR code and download the “smart life”App.
- Follow the user manual and the App tips to easily install your socket in a few minutes and enjoy smart life
- REMOTE CONTROL – Even when you are not at home, you can control the power-on/off via Smart Life app. Ideal for someone who can not move around very well and needs easy access to turn on/off a device.
- VOICE CONTROL – Control your home appliances with the smart plug by simply giving voice commands to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. No Hub Required, the smart plug SP23 works with any Wi-Fi router without the need for a separate hub or paid subscription service.
- SCHEDULE & TIMER – Schedule the Smart Plug to automatically power electronics on and off as needed, like setting lights to come on at dusk or turn off at sunrise. You can create a group for all of your smart devices and control them all with just one command. With the countdown timer feature, simply set a timer for the Smart Plug to turn off its appliance automatically.